MotoGP – Valencian GP – Qualifying
One last ride, the MotoGP season goes for the forth time to Spain, at the 19th and last race for the championship at Circuit Ricardo Tormo at Valencia, as big changes are coming up for some riders meanwhile others have a deserved farewell from the championship.
A bit wet track received the first group of riders that will take part for Q1, with some big candidates for Q2, such as Lorenzo, Rossi, Bautista, Viñales and Iannone, but it wasn’t going to be easy, as Nakagami, Smith, Luthi and Morbidelli also had strong pace. First part of the session ended with Maverick Viñales ahead, with Nakagami, Smith and Luthi close to him. As the track dry up, the times started to decrease while the session time was running out. Lorenzo, Morbidelli, Smith and Nakagami had good laps, but Andrea Iannone had something else to say, making the fastest lap and getting a place on Q2 with Maverick Viñales at 2nd; Lorenzo, Rossi and Bautista will have to start from the back.
13. Jorge Lorenzo /// 14. Takaaki Nakagami /// 15. Franco Morbidelli
16. Valentino Rossi /// 17. Thomas Luthi /// 18. Karel Abraham
19. Álvaro Bautista /// 20. Stefan Bradl /// 21. Hafizh Syahrin
22. Bradley Smith /// 23. Jordi Torres /// 24. Scott Redding
Q2 hit green lights with a early drama, as the champion went to the gravel, Marquez fell down from his bike, having some damage on the left shoulder, but that didn’t stop him from coming to the box, trying another run on the other bike. Meanwhile, Danilo Petrucci was ahead on provisional pole, ahead of Rins, Dovizioso, Iannone and Miller, this last one also crashed some minutes later. Second stint was underway, with the riders hitting red sectors on their laps. Maverick Viñales took the last pole of the year coming from Q1, with Rins 2nd and Believe it or not, Marc Marquez with only one shoulder was on 3rd place, even he was passed by Dovizioso and Petrucci, Marc simply cannot stop for surprising everyone.
1. Maverick Viñales /// 2. Álex Rins /// 3. Andrea Dovizioso
4. Danilo Petrucci /// 5. Marc Márquez /// 6. Pol Espargaró
7. Andrea Iannone /// 8. Aleix Espargaró /// 9. Dani Pedrosa
10. Jack Miller /// 11. Johann Zarco /// 12. Michele Pirro
Last Qualy of the year is done, hopefully another exciting race is ahead us for ending in a big way the 2018 season, also expecting a big race from Dani Pedrosa, the Samurai’s last battle. A farewell for a modern MotoGp legend.