MotoGP – Thailand GP – Race
We arrive at the Asias tour, for the 15th race of the MotoGP championship and we start with another monumental battle of the championship leaders, great way to had a debut on a new track.
The race started with not many changes as they were positioned on the grid, with Marc Marquez and Valentino Rossi at the front, followed close by Andrea Dovizioso, Cal Crutchlow and Maverick Viñales.
It didn´t take too long for a leader change, when the Italian veteran gained the lead and started to establish the pace, Dovizioso also gained a place from Marquez. Some laps later, they started to have a conservative pace; a pure strategic battle between these 3 riders.
15 laps to go, and things started to shape up, as Dovizioso and Marquez made a move on Valentino to be on the front, relegating him to 3rd place, with Viñales, Pedrosa and Zarco closing up, but only Viñales was able to catch the group, because Zarco lost his pace because he went wide and Pedrosa crashed 2 laps later.
Final laps of the race, and the tension stars heating up, as the Honda of Marquez was closing to the Ducati of Dovi, with a Yamaha of Viñales getting really close, the moves were milimetrical, the battle was tense, 4 laps of pure racing at is finest. With an masterclass move on the last lap, Marc Marquez took the win and gets a step closer for his 5th MotoGP championship (the 7th in total), with a remarkable performance of Andrea Dovizioso in 2nd place and a 3rd place from Maverick Viñales and 4th for Valentino Rossi, showing that the bad streak of Yamaha is ending.
1. Marc Marquez /// 2. Andrea Dovizioso /// 3. Maverick Viñales
4. Valentino Rossi /// 5. Johann Zarco /// 6. Alex Rins
7. Cal Crutchlow /// 8. Alvaro Bautista /// 9. Danilo Petrucci
10. Jack Miller /// 11. Andrea Iannone /// 12. Hafizh Syahrin
13. Aleix Espargaro /// 14. Franco Morbidelli /// 15. Bradley Smith
16. Scott Redding /// 17. Karel Abraham /// 18. Xavier Simeon
19. Jordi Torres /// 20. Thomas Luthi /// 21. Pol Espargaro 22. Takaaki Nakagami
DNF: Dani Pedrosa
With this win, Marc Marquez extends his lead at the championship by 77 points giving him the chance of clinching his 5th MotoGP title at Japan, the team´s home crowd. Will he make it?